How to see your Personal Information


The Data Protection Act provides individuals the right to see what personal information an organisation holds about them. This is called 'Subject Access Rights.' The Act permits you to see the information we hold about you. You cannot request to see personal information that we hold for another individual unless they have given their explicit/ written  consent for you to see their information.

How do I apply to see the information you hold about me?

In order for us to process a request for you to see your personal information, the request must be received in writing. The easiest way of doing this is by completing a Subject Access Request Form.

Please fill in as much detail as you can as this will help us to process your application.

Alternatively, you can make a request by sending us a letter. If you are sending a letter please remember to tell us exactly what it is you want to see and include enough details so that we can identify you and any records we hold about you.

You will be required to supply some sort of identification with your request form or letter. If you do not supply any identification then your request will be delayed until you have supplied us with some.


Is there a fee to make a request?

The Act provides that organisations can charge a fee of £10 per request.

Please ensure that you include the fee of £10, cheques to be made payable to 'South Somerset District Council', with your request otherwise your request will be delayed until the fee has been paid.


Who do I send the request to?

Please send your request to:

The Fraud & Data Team

The Council Offices

Brympton Way



BA20 2HT 

Alternatively, you can email your completed form or letter to:


How will I receive the information?

If we hold any personal information about you then, depending on the amount and nature of the information, we will either post it to you (if you agree) or will we arrange a convenient time for you to visit one of our Council Offices so you can view and/or collect the documents. If we hold any documents in an electronic format then we will be able to securely email these to you.

If we do not hold any personal information about you then we will inform you of this in writing.

You should receive the information within forty days. However, if for any reason there are any delays, we will inform you and provide the information as soon as it is available.

Please be advised that the information may have been edited before we can share it with you. This may be because the record also contains personal information about a third party, which we must protect.


What if I am not happy about the way my request has been dealt with?

If you are not happy with the way that we have handled your request, then you can make a complaint following the Council's complaints procedure.

If you are still not happy with the outcome following making a complaint to the Council then you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.


If you require any further information about how to see your personal information then please call the Council on 01935 462462 or email