Frequently Asked Questions regarding Council Tax payments


Council Tax payments FAQ

Q: What am I paying Council Tax for?

South Somerset District Council collects Council Tax on behalf of Somerset County Council, Avon and Somerset Police Authority, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Authority the Town and Parish Councils, as well as for it's own uses. Your Council Tax bill shows how much you are paying to each of these authorities. Council Tax is payable towards the provision and development of the services provided by each of these authorities.

Q: What do I do if I think I have made a payment but you have not received it?

To trace the payment we require as much information from you as possible. For example: Where did you make the payment? Do you have a receipt? You will need to send a copy of this receipt to us. How did you pay? The date you made the payment. If you paid by cheque has your bank presented your cheque?  If so we may require you to obtain a copy of this cheque from your bank. 

Q: What happens if my circumstances change?

If the amount of Council Tax you have to pay changes during the year, perhaps because your entitlement to a discount or benefit changes, you will get a new bill. This will tell you what the new amount owed is, and what instalments you now have to pay. If your circumstances do change you should contact us as soon as possible.

Q: What happens if I have paid too much Council Tax?

Any overpayments will be refunded otherwise the overpayment will be offset against any other liability or balance due for the next financial year.  

Q: What do I do if I lose my payment card?

Unfortunately, due to a technical issue, new or replacement payment cards are not currently available.