Abandoned Vehicles

The Council has powers to deal with abandoned vehicles.  These are regarded as vehicles that has no known owner and has been abandoned.

Reporting an Abandoned Vehicle:

Before reporting a vehicle as abandoned it is helpful if you can first check if the vehicle has current tax and MOT. This can easily be done by checking DVLA's database. If a vehicle is taxed and has an MOT it will not usually be regarded as being abandoned.

If you report a vehicle to us please provide the following information:

  • The location of the vehicle (outside house no....., opposite......).
  • The make and colour of the vehicle
  • The registration no. of the vehicle
  • How long has it been in its current position
  • What is the general condition of the vehicle

 Report an abandoned vehicle

What we do next:

When you report an abandoned vehicle we will investigate and inspect the vehicle. We will consider it abandoned if one or more of the following applies:

  • There have no keeper on the DVLA's database and the vehicle is untaxed - check with DVLA as vehicles no longer have to display a tax disc
  • The vehicle has been stationary for a significant amount of time
  • The vehicle is significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy - with flat tyres, wheels removed or broken windows
  • The vehicle is burnt out
  • The vehicle's number plates are missing

If we believe the vehicle has been abandoned it will usually be removed within 7 working days. We can't remove vehicles from private land without the permission of the landowner.

If a vehicle is on the highway and is in a dangerous condition or causing a hazard, we will aim to remove it within 24 hours of inspecting the vehicle.

Avoid breaking the law when selling your vehicle:

Remember until the DVLA receive new keeper details you will remain liable for the car tax and any fines or costs run up by that vehicle.  Advice on buying, selling and scraping a vehicle can be found on the Gov.UK website.

When you sell your vehicle:

  • Complete the blue part of the registration document with the purchaser's name and address (the purchaser should sign the declaration to confirm these details).
  • Sign the declaration yourself and send the blue part only to the DVLA at Swansea.
  • Complete the green part with the purchaser's details and give it to the new keeper.
  • Only complete the red part when selling to a member of the motor trade.
  • Don't give the whole document to the buyer for them to complete-you will only be leaving yourself open to problems at a later date.

 Penalties and Charges: 

A number of fixed penalties can be issued for Environmental offences and these are detailed here.