Universal Credit

The Government has introduced Universal Credit as part of the welfare reforms. Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will replace 6 existing benefits for working age people.

It will eventually replace:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions and not local councils.
Those customers claiming Universal Credit (UC) will have their housing costs paid as part of their UC and will no longer be entitled to claim Housing Benefit.

From the 19th April 2017 Universal Credit has rolled out to all of South Somerset. Working age customers who would have made a new claim for Housing Benefit will claim Universal Credit instead.


All Pension age claimants are excluded from the Universal Credit scheme and will still claim Housing Benefit.

Customers living in Supported Accommodation will continue to claim Housing Benefit. This is accommodation where you receive support such as care, supervision, or counselling & advice. Some examples of supported accommodation are hostels, refuges, and supported living complexes.

Customers with three or more children making a new claim after 6th April 2017 should still claim the relevant Benefits listed above instead of Universal Credit.

For further information go to Gov UK and to apply for Universal Credit go to Apply for Universal Credit.  If you require help to apply online please contact the Benefits Team on 01935 462462 to arrange an appointment.

You may find the following Youtube link helpful. The Department for Works and Pensions has shared various videos showing you how to apply for Universal Credit online and the verification process www.youtube.com/UniversalCreditinAction

Council Tax Support:
Council Tax Support IS NOT included in Universal Credit. However if you have already applied for Universal Credit and advised the Department for Work and Pensions that you have a Council Tax liability they will notify us. We can then use this notification as a claim for Council Tax Support and we will contact you for further information.

Change in Circumstances
If you currently get Housing Benefit and have a change in your circumstances it may mean you have to move on to Universal Credit. If this is the case you will need to make an on-line claim for Universal Credit. You should tell us about the change as normal and we will tell you if this means a new claim for Universal Credit has to be made.  Go to our Online Area to report any change in circumstances.

Already receiving Universal Credit:
If you are already receiving Universal Credit you will need to contact Universal Credit  to report the change in in your circumstances.  Council Tax support will remain with the Council as per the advice above.