Looking for housing

First-time buyer financial help and how to apply for social housing in Somerset.



Home Buy

South West Homes is the Government's low cost home ownership scheme that enables first-time buyers to buy a share of a home and get onto the housing ladder. For many people, HomeBuy provides the best opportunity to own a home in the area in which they want to live and work.

Homebuy can also be used to help people who previously owned a property but are now unable to buy a new home without financial help, or families who are overcrowded in their existing home.

To qualify for Homebuy you need to have a household income of less than £60,000 per annum.  You'll need to be a first-time buyer unable to buy, or unable to afford market rents without assistance.

Priority will be given to tenants living in social housing, key workers and other first time buyers.

Go to the South West Homes website

Homefinder Somerset


Anybody over the age of 16, not subject to immigration control and who has a local connection with us, can apply to join the scheme.

Once registered, you'll be placed in a band to reflect your circumstances. You will be able to express an interest in different types of properties , with a range of rents. 

General needs properties include flats, bungalows and houses. Sheltered housing is available for those seeking independent living with the reassurance of additional on-site support or an alarm.

Garages are also advertised on Homefinder Somerset.

Go to the Homefinder Somerset website



Gypsy and Traveller Sites

South Somerset District Council owns and manages residential sites at Ilton and Tintinhull. Developed specifically for members of the Gypsy and Traveller community, the sites offer pitches with two and three bedroom Park Homes accommodation.  There are also a small number of pitches without Park Homes accommodation. 

If you are interested in living on our sites you will need to complete an application form.  Applications are assessed using a points scheme, and priority for an offer will normally be given to those applicants with the most points.  Forms, and further information about our sites, are available from the Housing Advice Centre, Petters House, Petters Way, Yeovil. BA20 1AS. (01935) 462462.