Disabled facilities grant

Grants are available to help people with disabilities remain in their own homes by providing adaptations or specialist facilities.


Disabled grants


Am I eligible?

You will qualify for grant aid if you are either registered or registerable as disabled. If you think you may be, then you should call Social Services on 0300 123 2224 to arrange an assessment by an Occupational Therapist.

The Occupational Therapist who visits you to make an assessment will refer your details to us. You will then be visited by a Grants Officer, who will explain the grant scheme and carry out the preliminary means test if necessary. You will be informed how much,if any, you will have to contribute so that you can decide whether or not you wish to proceed.


Who can apply?

Housing association tenants, private tenants, private homeowners and tenants of Yarlington Homes can all apply for grant aid.

If you are a tenant of a Yarlington Homes property, minor works, such as the provision of handrails, may be carried out by the Yarlington Homes housing maintenance service and in this case you should contact your local Yarlington Homes office.


How much grant money can I get?

The maximum grant payment is £30,000. When you have submitted your application we will determine what the reasonable cost of the necessary works should be, which is known as the 'eligible expense'. The amount of grant awarded will be the eligible expense less your means-tested contribution, which is re-assessed from your application form.


Do I have to pay anything?

Grants are means-tested and you might be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of eligible works. You will be asked to provide details of your financial situation and these figures will be used to calculate your contribution, if any, towards the cost of the works.

However, applicants receiving certain income-related benefits :

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit (with income below £15,050)
  • Childrens Tax Credit (with income below £15,050)
  • Income Support / Guaranteed Pension Credit

OR are guardians of a Disabled Child,

will not be required to make a contribution and are exempt from means-testing.


Can I start work before a grant is approved?

No. We cannot give grants for any works which have not been formally approved. Make sure that you have the scheme agreed and formal approval before you start work.


How long does it take to approve a grant?

Simple schemes will normally take between eight and twelve weeks from initial referral to process. More extensive schemes can take longer, particularly if planning permission is required. However, budgetary constraints are now leading to long delays before approval of most grants.


When and how is the grant paid?

When the work has been done to your satisfaction, contact the grant officer who will call and inspect the job. If the work is satisfactory and accompanied by the correct certificates (e.g. for electrical installations) then we will pay the agreed grant. Payment can be sent directly to the applicant, their agent or the contractor.


What are the conditions to the grant?

  • If you are a tenant you will have to live in the property for a minimum of five years following the completion of the work. If you leave before then, you may be required to pay back the grant.
  • If your grant is to provide equipment (such as a stairlift) which can be removed when it is no longer required, we ask for the equipment to be given back so that it can be passed on to another disabled person.
  • We now have the power to reclaim part of any grant over £5,000 paid to an owner-occupier, if the house is sold within ten years.     For instance, we can reclaim £3,000 of an £8,000 grant (i.e. not the first £5,000).The maximum amount we can claim in any circumstances is £10,000. Before we reclaim, however, we take into account the following:  
  1. Cases of financial hardship.
  2. If the applicant is re-locating to a new job.
  3. If the the applicant re-locating for physical or mental health reasons.
  4. If the applicant is re-locating to help someone else "disabled or infirm and in need of care".

How do I apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

You must first be assessed by an Occupational Therapist (ring 0300 123 2224 to arrange this). They will refer you to our Housing Standards Team, who will arrange for an officer to visit you and carry out a preliminary means-test.

If you agree the contribution that you might be asked to pay, then a scheme of works will be drawn up. You will be given a grant application form to complete, which needs to be returned to us along with two quotations for the agreed works.

All grants (except those for disabled children or for applicants receiving certain income-related benefits) are means-tested.

If you have doubts whether your income and/or savings would rule you out  from receiving grant aid, then you are welcome to download a preliminary grant form, which you can complete and return it to us for a quick and obligation-free assessment

If you need any help in applying, please contact us.




 Useful Information:

 Disabled Facility Grants Leaflet

 Disabled Facility Grants Frequently Asked Questions

 Housing Adaptions Options

Policy for Annual Survey for Disabled Facilities Grants