Home repairs assistance grant

We give grants (subject to the availability of funding) to home-owners receiving income-related benefits to carry out essential home repairs.

What works can be done with a Home Repair Assistance grant?

  1. General Repairs : Urgent and essential repairs to keep the property wind- and weather-proof;
  2. Remedial works : to deal with matters which could adversely affect the health of the occupant, e.g. serious rising damp, old lead water supply pipes, dangerous electrics, obsolete gas boilers or missing standard amenities,
  3. Radon Remediation : Works to reduce levels of radon in domestic property where it exceeds the radon Action Level.
  4. Energy Efficiency : Works to improve the Energy Efficiency of properties in situations not covered by other agencies;
  5. Home Security : Works to improve home security for vulnerable people (in situations not covered by other agencies.


Am I eligible?

You are eligible if you are a private homeowner over the age of 18 who is in receipt of one of the following (income related) benefits:

Income support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income-related employment and support allowance, Working Tax Credit with an income of less than £16,040, Council Tax Benefit, Disabled Person's Tax Credit.


How much can I apply for?

Grants are paid to cover 100% of the costs of eligible works up to a maximum sum of £1,000. Please note that home repairs assistance grants are discretionary and budgets are limited, so please check about current availability.


Do I have to pay the grant back?

Yes, but only if you move house or sell the property within ten years of receiving the grant. Even then, you would only be asked to pay back the grant received; no interest would be added.


I live in a mobile home, am I eligible for grant assistance?

Yes, providing that you occupy a mobile home on a permanent residential site and are liable to pay Council Tax.


I've already done the required works, can you now give me a grant?

No, so please make sure that you get the works agreed and the grant approved before you carry out any work.

How do I apply?

We recommend that you initially read our home repair assistance grant leaflet and then speak to our Housing Standards team to discuss the works you have in mind and your eligibility.

The officer will also be able to let you know whether grant funding is currently available. If it appears that you may be eligible, the officer will arrange to visit you and provide you with a list of works.

You will be given a grant application form and asked to obtain two quotations for the works. When received, these will need to be returned to us with the completed form.