Specialist (Development Management - Planning)
Salary: Grade 6/7/8 £31,346 - £44,863 (Salary dependent on skills and experience)
Job Type: Permanent
Job ref: 1988
We have an exciting opportunity for several Planners to join us. Apply now and become a valued member of the Development management team, helping South Somerset to be a place where businesses flourish, communities are safe, vibrant and healthy and residents enjoy good housing and cultural, leisure and sporting activities.
What you can expect from us…
- We will help you develop your career by providing development and support whatever your level of experience
- An opportunity to be part of ‘one team’ coming together to develop even better ways of working
- A flexible approach to working arrangements to help you achieve a greater work/life balance
- A generous annual leave entitlement and the ability to purchase further leave
- A significant employer contribution towards your LPGS defined benefit scheme pension pot
- Gym membership discount across Freedom Leisure sites
What we are looking for…
- We are seeking enthusiastic and motivated Planners to join our forward thinking and dynamic Development Management department. We are an ambitious authority looking to deliver growth and provide innovative and high quality developments.
- Being part of our Specialist team, you will have a varied caseload of interesting and complex planning applications. You should possess a knowledge of the relevant technical guidance and current legislation, being able to demonstrate professional assessment skills applicable to more complex and technically challenging development proposals.
- We are looking for talented applicants who can demonstrate an adaptable and flexible approach, coupled with an ability to work on your own initiative. You will need to be organised and self-motivated but also a committed team player.
- A key part of the Grade 8 role will be supporting the Lead Specialist whilst mentoring and supporting other team members, and dealing with complex major applications, providing opportunities to masterplan our key market towns. You will lead at committee meetings and represent the authority at planning appeals.
Please contact John Hammond, Interim Lead Specialist for Built Environment on 01935 462531 should you wish to discuss the role in more detail.
We promote and value diversity in the workplace and welcome diverse applicants. We are committed to applying our equal opportunities policy at all stages of recruitment and selection. Shortlisting, interviewing and selection will always be carried out without regard to disability, sex or sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origins, religion or belief, age, or pregnancy or maternity.
We treat personal data collected during the recruitment process in accordance with our data protection policy/policy on processing special category personal data and criminal records. Information about how your data is used and the basis for processing your data is provided in our privacy notice.
My South Somerset Opportunities
Here at South Somerset District Council we have ambition; ambition for the organisation to be the best, ambition for our staff to develop and fulfil their potential, and ambition about what we can achieve to improve the communities we serve.
This is a great time to join us as we are moving at pace, transforming the way we deliver services to our communities.
Why work at SSDC as a Planner (Development Management Specialist)?
“We want to be a very good local authority planning service. There are so many reasons to work at SSDC, we have a fantastic natural environment, rich built heritage and thriving business community. Allied to this are the Council’s own Commercial and Regeneration aspirations and progressive Corporate and Local Plans. This means the variety of work a planning specialist will be involved with is exciting, challenging and rewarding”.
We support your ongoing training needs and career development, whether that is via RTPI courses, further education or informal in-house CPD and mentoring, we invest in staff and realise their potential.
“I joined SSDC 6 years ago as a Planning Assistant and they supported me to undertake a post-graduate degree which I have now completed. As a result of that qualification and my ongoing performance I was promoted to Development Management Specialist and now I am involved in varied complex applications which I really enjoy. I enjoy working in a friendly team of planners and I now mentor Case Officers”
As a Council, we want to celebrate successes and promote the role and importance of planning. If you want a challenge, like working as part of a team and have a passion for shaping development and seeing the results of your work then SSDC is the place for you.
The Council receives circa 2000 applications per year. Covering an area of 370 square miles South Somerset has rural areas, vibrant towns and a network of market towns. South Somerset District Council serves approximately 72,000 households across 121 parishes. Our work therefore encompasses rural and urban planning, residential, retail, commercial and agricultural development.
A Development Management Specialist performs the role most identifiable historically as a Planning Officer. However, the role now has a greater relationship and synergy with Case Officers who support all casework. Emerging technology and digital systems will remove administrative processes meaning a Development Management Specialist can concentrate on the things they enjoy most and are most skilled in.
The Council is undertaking ambitious Regeneration projects in our larger settlements of Yeovil, Chard and Wincanton. A Development Management Specialist works as part of a multidisciplinary team to shape the development, providing key professional input, assuming the role of critical friend and promoting the very best in design and sustainability.
A new beginning
South Somerset is one of the largest and most fascinating local authorities in the country. It enjoys a thriving diverse economy and is home to world leading, high tech aerospace, engineering and manufacturing businesses. A strong agricultural sector drives world-renowned food and drink production and tourism.
South Somerset District Council is undergoing a significant transformation project, which is changing our approach, staffing structure and even office space.Download Job Description
How to apply
Please apply online by submitting your completed application form and providing your CV and a supporting personal statement. The personal information that you provide as part of our application process will be used to assess your suitability for the role for which you are applying. If you would like further information about how and why we use your personal information and your rights related to this information please see our privacy notice.Apply Online Now