South Somerset District Council keeps your data secure following GDPR introduction
Since April 2016, work has been undertaken to help prepare SSDC for the implementation of the Regulation. An implementation plan has been created based on the ICO's "Preparing for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 12 steps to take now" document. The document highlights 12 steps that an organisation should be taking to prepare for the GDPR.
Work that SSDC has undertaken to prepare for the introduction of GDPR includes:
- Updating our Privacy Notice which can be found on the SSDC website
- All staff training on GDPR guidance
- Councillor training
- Supported Parish Clerks across South Somerset
- Where appropriate, individual consent has been reviewed
- The Retention Policy has been reviewed and updated
- A 'Breach Notification Procedure' has been introduced to ensure the authority meets the Information Commissioner's Office 72 hour notification deadline
- Cyber Security Awareness training has also been given to appropriate staff.
Should any members of the public wish to make a complaint about the way they believe their data is being handled by SSDC, please contact Jan Gamon (Data Protection Officer) by emailing DPO@southsomerset.gov.uk or by calling 01935 462462.
If you are a small business or organisation and need advice about GDPR, the Information Commissioner's Office has la self-assessment toolkit you can download for free at www.ico.org.uk. You can also call their advice line on 0303 123 1113 (select option 4 to be diverted to staff who can offer support).
Above: District Councillors receive their GDPR training to prepare for the introduction of the new regulations on 25 May 2018