Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Licensing is all around you in day to day home life

| District
From booking a licensed taxi to taking your dog to a doggy-day-care centre, licensing is all around you and the District Council will be involved.

The third National Licensing Week is taking place this week and day three is all about how licensing affects those day to day decisions made at home and in family life.

You may be going to buy a new puppy today; does the breeder have a licence from the local authority to keep a breeding establishment for dogs? Or are you thinking of putting your pooch into a dog-day-care centre whilst you're out for the day; do they have an animal boarding establishment licence?

Before you step into a taxi, check to see if has been licenced by South Somerset District Council and if the driver has an official taxi licence card; all services administered and provided by your local council's Licensing team. Taxis are monitored, spot checked regularly and we also ensure the vehicles are kept clean and tidy at all times.

If you are considering keeping a dangerous wild animal, you would need to obtain a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence. In South Somerset, we have licences for camels, wild boars and zebras to name a few.

Councillor Angie Singleton, Portfolio Holder for Licensing at South Somerset District Council said, "A lot of things we do in our day-to-day lives will involve our Licensing Team here at SSDC. The charity bags that come through your doors; we issue a license and keep a diary so that you don't get too many come through the door at the same time. That's an excellent example where you may not think our officers are involved, but are.

"The licensing pages on our website offer some comprehensive advice to people on the management of licenses for events or premises. Our officers are also more than happy to give advice over the phone and will get back to you within five days if they can't help you instantly.

Many of the places you visit could or would need some sort of license, even if it is only to serve alcohol. Licensing is really all around you. There is much more that the Licensing team are involved with and all can be found online on the licensing section of the website.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?