South Somerset Tourist Information Centre reaches final of the Bristol, Bath and Somerset Tourism Awards
South Somerset District Council’s Tourist Information Centre (TIC) at Cartgate along the A303 has been selected as a finalist for the Visitor Information Service of the Year at this year’s Bristol, Bath and Somerset Tourism Awards.
Being shortlisting for this award means that they are guaranteed a bronze, silver or gold award at this year’s ceremony, held at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre.
Cartgate TIC will be up against Glastonbury Tourist Information Centre and Visit Weston. Bristol Tourist Information was commended in this category.
It will be a great night not only for SSDC, but for many other local businesses also selected for an award. These include:
- Mill on the Brue Outdoor Activity Centre, Bruton – Active and Sporting Experience Award and Ethical, Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Award
- Long Hazel Park, Yeovil – Camping and Holiday Park of the Year
- Prince of Wales, Ham Hill, Stoke Sub Hamdon – Forthglade Dog Friendly Pub of the Year
- Esme’s Escape - Glamping Business and Alternative Accommodation of the Year and New Tourism Business Award
- Stocklinch Shepherds Hut, Stocklinch - Glamping Business and Alternative Accommodation of the Year
- The Langford, Fivehead - Restaurant/Bistro of the Year
- Lytes Cary Manor, Somerton – Small Visitor Attraction of the Year, sponsored by VisitBath (commended)
Councillor John Clark, South Somerset District Council’s portfolio holder for Economic Development, said: “It’s an honour to have one of our Tourist Information Centre’s shortlisted at the Bristol, Bath and Somerset Tourism Awards. It shows the hard work that the staff at the centre put in to running it, but it also shows a commitment from the District Council to ensure we can offer high quality information to visitors and residents alike. Our ultimate aim is to make people stop and stay in South Somerset; so they can experience all the wonderful things that make our area so special. I personally look forward to waiting to hear the outcome, but even to be shortlisted is such a wonderful achievement.”
A celebration event for finalists will take place on the 11 November, with the winners being announced at the award ceremony on the 21 November.