Yeovil Refresh public realm design consultation: Five great things you have told us so far…
With hundreds of people coming to see the initial designs for the public realm enhancements for Yeovil town centre on Saturday 20 July, comments have been coming in that will help to set the direction of the final designs for the public realm in the town centre.
This is your chance to have your say on how Yeovil town centre will look in the future and the online consultation has been extended until 5pm on Monday 19 August so that more people have an opportunity to express their opinion.
South Somerset District Council plans to regenerate the town centre of Yeovil through multiple projects as part of the adopted Yeovil Refresh strategy.
As part of this, the council is looking to enhance the public realm, including the streets and spaces, to make Yeovil more attractive for residents, businesses and tourists.
The public realm design consultation has been running since Saturday 20 July and now runs until Monday 19 August.
Here are five things you’ve told us about the proposals so far:
- You would like to see additional street tree planting and ornamental planting within the town centre
- You would like to see more public space for events and entertainment and more areas for friends and family to gather
- You would like better cycling and pedestrian access from Yeovil Country Park, with clearly signposted destination points
- You would like to see enhancements to the front of shops so there is an overall better shopping experience
- A water feature, increased level piazza and enhancements to the surrounding buildings are popular features for the design of the Bandstand area
Comments have also covered issues including public transport, parking spaces and the need to look at attracting and retaining businesses in the shops. South Somerset District Council wants residents, businesses, visitors and stakeholders to help shape these plans and the comments it has already received will all be considered in the final designs.
You can continue to have your say online during the consultation period – where you can also view the current design proposals. The consultation ends on Monday 19 August.
Councillor Peter Gubbins, executive portfolio holder for Yeovil Refresh, said: “There has been a great response so far to our public consultation, but we want as many people as possible to have their say on how Yeovil town centre will look in the future.
“Whether you agree or disagree with what is currently proposed on the designs, we encourage constructive feedback so we can work out what will be the best final designs and include elements that people want to see. Make sure you have your say before it’s too late.”
Why enhance the public realm?
Feedback from the public, stakeholders and businesses at the initial Yeovil Refresh public consultation told us that there were a number of priorities you wanted us to address. Many of these were aimed around the public realm, including:
- You'd like to see the main high streets kept clean and better kept with nicer planters and other greenery, while keeping the streets from being too cluttered.
- You'd like to see improvements in vehicular and pedestrian access into the heart of Yeovil for locals and visitors
- There are concerns about some vehicle access to parts of the town centre (in particular on Middle Street)
- You'd like to make the town's open areas more appealing, using the space that is available to encourage visitors.
There are economic, health, environmental and social benefits to enhancing public areas, all of which will help to create a dynamic and distinctive regional centre where Yeovil will be a place of choice for businesses, residents and visitors.
What are the next steps following the consultation?
We will use your feedback to inform the design of the public realm proposals, which will be incorporated into the public realm design guide, shop front enhancement guide and help to inform the proposals for the priority project areas identified.