Forward-thinking council delivers for its communities yet again
Delivering a balanced budget and making no cuts to services, launching multiple regeneration projects, continuing to be a more commercial organisation and launching an Economic Development Strategy are just some of the achievements highlighted in the 2019/20 Annual Achievement report presented to Councillors this evening.
Councillors praised what has been delivered for the communities of South Somerset following the presentation of the Annual Achievements report at Full Council.
The council presents its Annual Achievement reports that details a summary of outcomes achieved against the council Plan Annual Action Plan.
Amongst this year’s highlight of achievements has yet again been the delivery of a balanced budget with no cuts to services and the launched regeneration projects which will support three of our key market towns in South Somerset – Yeovil, Chard and Wincanton.
SSDC is an ambitious and forward-thinking council that is committed to transforming, improving and adapting to be ready for the future.
We place our residents and businesses firmly at the centre of everything we do and we are incredibly proud of the work we have achieved alongside our communities in 2019/20.
Despite many challenges, including Covid-19 and funding cuts from Central Government, we continue to strive to provide an excellent service.
Despite challenges, some of last year’s highlights and achievements are –
- A balanced budget was delivered with no cuts to services
- Launched regeneration projects which will support three of our key towns in South Somerset – Yeovil, Chard and Wincanton
- A 10-year Economic Development Strategy was launched to ensure we are well placed to attract new businesses, help start-ups and encourage diversity and innovation.
- We are continuing to be a more commercial organisation, investing in projects that will provide essential income to pay for our highly-valued services.
- Alongside this we continue to improve customer service with new technology, providing dedicated resources to support those who are most vulnerable, continuing our great work to alleviate homelessness and working hard to protect the environment.
- The Council received or is shortlisted for a range of national awards or commendations for our work.
Councillor Val Keitch Leader of South Somerset District Council, said: “Providing key services and going above and beyond our duty is what South Somerset District Council does best. As Councillors, we have set very ambitious targets within the Annual Action Plan and Officers continue to deliver for communities within the district.
“I am very proud to say that we are working towards our vision for South Somerset where we are a place where businesses flourish, communities are safe, vibrant and healthy; where residents enjoy good housing and cultural, leisure and sporting activities.”
An Annual Action Plan for 2020-21 was agreed by Full Council in February 2020 which included eight priority projects and 38 areas of focus under five themes: - Protecting Core Services; Economy; Environment; Places where we live and Healthy, Self-reliant Communities.