How your district council will ensure it delivers new homes alongside much needed infrastructure
Ensuring we deliver much-needed housing and the infrastructure needed to support new homes has been identified as one of South Somerset District Council’s key priorities in the next 12 months.
Our Council Plan for 2021/22 sets out how this can be achieved to boost our economy and help drive the district recovery after the Covid-19 pandemic.
What housing outcomes has the council set out to achieve over the next year?
South Somerset District Council has set out a number of targets to accelerate the delivery of housing that we want to achieve over the course of the next 12 months.
- More proactive intervention in bringing forward difficult and delayed housing projects
- To strengthen relationships with all stakeholders involved in new housing and our communities
- To deliver sufficient appropriate good quality housing of all types and tenures to meet our housing needs as set out in the Local Plan
- To work with our partners to secure the necessary physical and social infrastructure needed to meet the demands of population growth.
How specifically will this be achieved and when?
The work to deliver accelerate the delivery of key housing sites in the coming year will build on work that has already begun alongside a range of new initiatives.
- To implement the changes recommended by our Planning Reimagined group looking at the pre-application process, validation, consultation, reports, consultation and more
- Continuing our work with neighbouring authorities and other bodies to deliver a solution to phosphate neutrality to prevent further delays in the planning process.
- Work to help start progress on the much-needed Crewkerne key site
- To help progress funding plans for the delivery of the key site in Yeovil
All of these actions are planned alongside a range of other initiatives which can be found in our full Council Plan for 2021/22: https://modgov.southsomerset.gov.uk/documents/s34319/7%20Appendix%20A%20Annual%20Action%20Plan%202021_22.pdf