Views sought on relocation of bus services in Yeovil town centre
Are you a user of bus services in Yeovil town centre or do you have a view on where they should stop? We want to hear from you.
South Somerset District Council is seeking views on the location of the bus stop in the Western part of Yeovil town centre – currently at the Borough (High Street) next to the war memorial.
As part of the Yeovil Refresh which aims to regenerate the town centre, we are seeking to reduce the dominance of traffic in the core streets. Our aims in doing so are:
- To reduce the conflict between vehicles and pedestrians
- Make these streets shared spaces where pedestrians have priority
- Improve the town centre experience
- Improve air quality
- Make streets easier to navigate
- Allow the introduction of trees and planting to create a better environment for all
We are interested in your views about the potential for re-locating the bus stop from the Borough to South Street which is the road that runs beside the Library and former Post Office. This would mean exiting the bus there and entering the town centre through King George Street.
You can take part in a consultation which seeks to obtain your views on these proposals to allow us to better understand how buses in the town centre are used at the moment.
You can take part in the survey by clicking this link or by visiting https://consultation.southsomerset.gov.uk/strategy-commissioning/bus-service-yeovil-town-centre. The consultation will close on Friday 1 October 2021.
Councillor Peter Gubbins, Executive Member for Yeovil Refresh at South Somerset District Council, said: “Public transport to the town centre is vital for a lot of residents, but so is the importance of being able to shop safely in an environment that reduces the conflict between vehicles and pedestrians, so the District Council wants to hear from you if you have a view on the current or proposed location for the bus stop at the top end of the town centre.”
Clean Air and reduced pollution in town and city centres is becoming increasingly important. As a local authority we have designed a place which strives to improve the air quality in the town centre
What is the Yeovil Refresh project?
The Yeovil Refresh project aims to create a town centre that will be a vibrant place to live, work, shop, learn and visit. Working with consultants and key partners, South Somerset District Council has been exploring how it can best invest in Yeovil’s future.
Consultation events were held in 2018 to help us identify priority projects. Here’s a recap of what you told us:
- You’d like to see the main high streets kept clean and better kept with nicer planters and other greenery, while keeping the streets from being too cluttered.
- You’d like to see improvements in vehicular and pedestrian access into the heart of Yeovil for locals and visitors
- There are concerns about some vehicle access to parts of the town centre (in particular on Middle Street)
- You’d like to make the town’s open areas more appealing, using the space that is available to encourage visitors.
Westminster Street in Yeovil will be the first area in the town centre to see improvement work under the Yeovil Refresh public realm enhancements that will help to improve the look of the town centre for shoppers, businesses, residents and workers.
Midas Group has been appointed to undertaken the scheme of work at Westminster Street with a start date of the week commencing 20 September 2021 set.