Privacy Notice - Contacting a District Councillor

Your Privacy

South Somerset District Council ("SSDC") and it's elected Councillors are committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services and when you approach a Councillor for assistance or a response to a query.

The Privacy Notice below explains how SSDC Councillors use information about you and how, together, we protect your privacy.

Why do Councillors use personal information?

Do you know what personal information is?

Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This can include information that, when put together with other information, can then identify a person. For example, this could be your name and contact details.

Did you know that some of your personal information might be 'special'?

Some information is 'special' and needs more protection due to its sensitivity. It's often information you would not want widely known and is very personal to you. This is likely to include anything that can reveal your:

  • sexuality and sexual health;
  • religious or philosophical beliefs;
  • ethnicity'
  • physical or mental health;
  • trade union membership;
  • political opinion;
  • genetic/biometric data;
  • criminal history.

Why do Councillors need your personal information?

In order for the elected Councillors of SSDC to deal with your request for assistance of respond to your query, it is necessary for them to collect, store and process your personal information to provide you with the relevant information, services or support requested.

How the law allows Councillors to use your personal information

Generally Councillors will use your personal information based on the public interest or substantial public interest condition when dealing with your request for assistance or responding to your query. Where a Councillor wishes to use your personal data for a different reason, they will gain your prior consent.

If a Councillor has your consent to use your personal information, you have the right to remove your consent at any time. If you want to withdraw your consent, please contact your Councillor directly.

Councillors only use what they need!

Where they can, Councillors will only collect and use personal information that they need to help deal with your request or query.

If they don't need personal information they'll either keep you anonymous or they won't ask you for it.

Who do Councillors share your information with?

To assist in dealing with your request or responding to you query Councillors may need to share some of your personal information with Officers of SSDC. They may also need to share your personal information with other relevant agencies and bodies, such as local authorities, government agencies, public bodies, health trusts and support organisations.

Any sharing will be made on a case-by-case basis; using the minimum personal information required, with the appropriate security controls in place and on a "need to know" basis. Where the information is shared with another relevant agency or body, they will inform you of with whom it was shared, unless there is a legal reason not to do so.

Will I be contacted for political campaigning purposes?

When campaigning for election, as the representative of a political party, Councillors can use personal information, such as mailing lists, legitimately held by their parties. However, personal information they hold in their role as your local representative, such as complaints casework, should not be used without your consent. 

What you can do with your information

The law gives you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by a Councillor and how it is used by them including:

  • right to ask them to provide you with copies of personal information they hold about you, known as a Subject Access Request;
  • right to object to the use of your personal information for certain purposes such as direct marketing;
  • right to ask the Councillor to delete, update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal information; and
  • the right to opt-out at any time where you have given consent.

If you wish to exercise any of these rights, you should contact the Councillor directly.

How long will the Councillors keep my personal information?

Councillors will only keep your personal information for as long is required to deal with your request or query. In the main Councillors will review all records containing personal information every six months and delete those that are no longer needed. Where information is shared with an Officer of the Council, the Council's retention schedule will apply.

Where can I get advice?

For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at:

Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane


Cheshire SK9 5AF

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number.

Alternatively, visit or email

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?