Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Building control

Unauthorised building work

It is an offence to carry out notifiable building work without submitting a full plans or building notice application.

Doing so can lead to prosecution and is likely to create difficulties when you try to sell the property.

If you have carried out building work without getting the correct approval, you can apply for a regularisation certificate. A certificate is evidence that the unauthorised works have been regularised and approved.

Regularisation applications only apply to works that were started on or after 11 November 1985.

Your application need to describe the extent of the unauthorised work and include a plan of that work, together with any additional work you intend to carry out to secure compliance with the regulations.

The relevant charge (contact us to find out the relevant charge) must be submitted with your application form.

We may ask for certain parts of the work to be opened up for inspection to check for compliance. This may require alterations to be carried out before we can issue a regularisation certificate.

Apply for a regularisation certificate.

For more information about regularisation, view our guidance.

If you are unsure whether unauthorised work has been carried out or not, contact us.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?