Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Paying Business Rates

I am finding it difficult to pay my Business Rates

There is help available and many flexible ways that you can pay your Business Rates bill.

We can look at your payment options, such as the method of payment, number of instalments and payment dates.

We will also be able to check that you are receiving the correct discounts and reliefs.

If you do not contact us and default on your payments, action will be taken to recover any money outstanding.

If you cannot pay your Business Rates on time or are struggling to pay, don’t delay, contact us as soon as you can. We will do all we can to help you.

  • We recommend that you request a call from one of our Case Services Team
  • Alternatively call 01935 462462 to speak to one of our advisors

  1. I have received a default notice

    If you have received a default notice and are able to make the payment due in full, you can pay online

    If you are unable to make the payment in full, you should contact us without delay. You can request a call back from our Case Services Team.

    If any of these notices are ignored, further recovery will be taken which may lead to further costs and enforcement action.

    The reminder process is shown below:

    Business rate reminder process

    If you don’t bring your account up to date when you get a reminder or pay in full when you get a final notice you move straight to the summons stage.

  2. Enforcement

    Ross and Roberts act on our behalf to collect both unpaid Business Rates and Council Tax.

    We can instruct an enforcement agent to collect an unpaid Business Rate debt from you if a liability order has been issued in your name.

    Before we do this, we will send you a letter informing you of the charges you may incur.

  3. Stages of enforcement

    Compliance stage

    If we pass your unpaid debt to an enforcement agent, you will have to pay a fixed fee of £75. This will apply to each Liability Order we send them.

    The enforcement agent will send you a Notice of Enforcement and you will have 7 days to pay in full. We advise that you respond immediately.

    If you are unable to pay in full, the enforcement agency may agree for the debt to be repaid by instalments.

    Any payments or offers of payment should be made directly to the enforcement agent, not to us.

    As well as the Notice of Enforcement, the enforcement agent may also contact you by email, text, letter or phone. It is important that you do not ignore these as, otherwise, they will progress to the enforcement stage and an enforcement agent will visit. You then risk losing your belongings and will face additional fees.

    Enforcement stage

    If an enforcement agent visits, you will have to pay a further fixed fee of £235 plus 7.5% of any money owed over £1,500.

    If you are unable to pay in full, the enforcement agent can either take control of your goods or enter into an acceptable agreement for you to repay the money owed, including their costs.

    They will make a list of your goods that cover the amount of your debt. If your goods are included on a Controlled Goods Agreement you cannot dispose of or sell them without the enforcement agent’s permission.

    There are certain goods that are exempt from being included on a Controlled Goods Agreement, including:

    • Items necessary for your basic domestic needs and members of your household.
    • Items or equipment which are necessary for use in employment, business, trade or study, up to the value of £1,350. Above this, the exemption does not apply.

    Sale stage

    If you refuse to sign the Controlled Goods Agreement the enforcement agent can take your goods whilst they are at your property.

    If you do not pay as agreed and you have signed a Controlled Goods Agreement, the enforcement agent may enter your property, by force if necessary, to take the goods listed.

    If this happens you will be charged a fixed fee of £110 plus 7.5% of any balance due. You may also have to pay additional costs for the sale of your goods.

    It is an offence to stop an enforcement agent from carrying out their duties.

    If the enforcement agent can't recover sufficient goods to cover the amount owed, or if they cannot gain entry to the property, then the debt will be returned to us and we will have to consider other recovery options. These options include bankruptcy, committal to prison or a charging order against your property.

  4. National standards

    The Ministry of Justice has issued national guidelines for all enforcement agents that sets out what the Ministry of Justice, those in the industry and some major users regard as minimum standards.

    It does not replace local agreements, existing agency codes of practice or legislation.

  5. Report an issue with an enforcement agent

    You should direct any concerns or issues to the enforcement agent.

    If you are dissatisfied with their response, let us know by emailing us and we will deal with your complaint in line with our complaints procedure.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?