Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Council Tax - Change in circumstances


The law allows the Council to impose a penalty of £70 on anyone who fails to notify us about:

  • A single person discount that should have ended
  • An exemption on a dwelling that should have ended
  • Any other discount that should have ended
  • A change of address within 21 days or as soon as practicable
  • Any change to the household which affects who should be the liable person
  • Information that was requested to establish liability
  • Information that was requested after a liability order has been obtained

  1. Additional penalties

    If we have already applied the penalty and have to make further requests for the same information, we can add additional penalties of £280 every time you fail to supply this information.

  2. How will the penalty be applied?

    Penalties will normally be added to your Council Tax account and a new bill will be sent to you.

    If the person failing to provide information to us is not the bill payer, an invoice will be issued instead.

  3. What if I disagree with the penalty?

    If you disagree with a penalty, you should discuss it with us first so that you can explain why you disagree. Request a call from one of our Case Services team members.

    You can appeal directly to a Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS). You must do this within 2 months of the date we applied the penalty.

    More information about the appeal process can be found on the VTS website.

  4. Do I have to pay if I've appealed?

    If you do appeal, you do not have to pay your penalty until your appeal has been decided.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?