Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Discounts and exemptions

Am I eligible for a Council Tax Discount?

You may be eligible for a discount or exemption on your Council Tax for a wide range of reasons.

Use the information below to find out if you are eligible for a Council Tax discount based on your personal circumstances.

If you are on a low income and need help towards paying your Council Tax, visit our Council Tax support page

  1. Living alone - Single Person Discount (SPD)

    If you are the only person aged 18 or over living in your home, you may be eligible for Single Person Discount (SPD). 

    The property has to be your sole and main residence.

    If you are looking to apply for a SPD because you have just moved into a new property or because someone has recently moved out of your property, then you should start by telling us about the move. We will automatically apply your discount once you have reported your move and we have confirmed that you are the only adult at this address.

    If you are applying for this discount because an adult member of the household has passed away, you should begin by reporting the death to us via the Tell Us Once service. Once you have told us and we have verified that you are the sole adult in the property, we will automatically apply your SPD. 

    If you have a spouse or a partner living elsewhere it is unlikely you will be able to claim this discount. For example, we don’t provide SPD for:

    • Spouses/partners working away from home and paying council tax elsewhere
    • Service personnel on deployment

    Apply for a Single Person Discount online

    You will need to be signed in to 'My Account' to complete the form. If you do not have an account, register now

    If you are signed in but cannot view your Council Tax information, it may be because you have not verified your Council Tax account. Request access by entering your Council Tax reference number. 

  2. Living with a disability - Disabled Band Reduction (DBR)

    If you have a disability or live with someone who does (this includes children under 18) and you have special facilities fitted in your property, then you may be eligible for DBR.

    Adaptations that may qualify for this reduction include (but aren’t limited to):

    • An extra bathroom or kitchen (which is used and required for meeting the needs of the person with the disability).
    • Adaptations for permanent wheelchair users
    • An additional room used specifically for the needs of a disabled person, i.e. dialysis equipment.

    Adaptations that don’t usually qualify you for this reduction include (but aren’t limited to):

    • Stair lifts
    • Separate/downstairs bedroom
    • Toilet without a shower and/or bath
    • General home adaptations e.g. grab rails, handrails etc.

    If you qualify, your Council Tax bill will be reduced by one property band. For example, if you are in a band D property your bill will be reduced to that of a band C property instead.

    If your home is a band A property, we will reduce your bill by one ninth of the band D charge.

    Download and complete our Disabled Band Reduction application form and send it to

  3. Students and school leavers (over 18)

    Full time student (including student nurse)

    If you are undertaking a full-time course of education with an educational establishment anywhere in the European Union, you may be eligible for a discount.

    The course must:

    • Be at least 1 year long.
    • Involve at least 21 hours of study each week for at least 24 weeks in the academic year.

    You will need to provide us with a copy of your certificate of higher education.

    If your educational establishment is outside the UK you will need to provide:

    • a copy of confirmation of acceptance on course
    • your enrolment details
    • confirmation of payment for course - this may be an invoice
    • contact name and details of the institute course administrator who we can seek further information from

    Receiving Child Benefit for a student under 19

    If you have a child aged 18 years and you receive Child Benefit for them, you may be eligible for a discount.

    If they are under 20 and still in full time education on the 30 April then the discount will remain in places after the entitlement to child benefit ends.

    The discount will then be extended up until the 31 October of the same year.

    School Leaver under 20

    If you, or someone in your household, is under 20 years old and undertaking a qualifying course of education you may be eligible for a discount.

    The course must:

    • Last more than 3 calendar months
    • Involve at least 12 hours attendance per week between 8.00 am and 5.30 pm.

    The course must not:

    • Be undertaken by correspondence
    • Occur as part of the your job
    • Be a course of higher education (if you are in higher education please see ‘Full time student’ section above).

    This discount will continue until the 31 October following the completion of your studies, provided that you, or the person in your household, remain under 20 years old up until that date and finish your studies after the 30 April of that academic year.

    You, or the person in your household, will need to provide us with a copy of the school or college certificate.

    How to apply for your discount

    To apply for any of these discounts download and complete the student discount form and send it to

  4. Apprentices

    In order to qualify as an apprentice you must:

    • Be employed for the purpose of a learning trade, business, profession, office employment or vocation.
    • Be undertaking a programme of training leading to a qualification accredited by the National Council for the Vocational Qualification.
    • Be receiving a salary or allowance that is no more than £195 per week; and is substantially less than the salary you would be likely to receive once you have achieved your qualification.

    Your employer will be contacted to confirm your apprentice status.

    To apply for this discount download and complete the apprentice form and send it to

  5. Severely Mentally Impaired (SMI)

    A person is considered to be severely mentally impaired if they have a severe mental impairment of intelligence and social functioning, however caused, which appears to be permanent.

    Typically, a person with one of the following conditions will be considered:

    • Dementia
    • Alzheimer’s
    • Downs Syndrome

    However there are many other conditions which could qualify a person as SMI.

    A qualifying person must also be eligible for (though not necessarily in receipt of) one of the following benefits:

    • Incapacity Benefit or Employment Support Allowance
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • The care component of a Disability Living Allowance paid either at the highest rate or at the middle rate
    • The standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment.
    • An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension
    • A Disability Working Allowance
    • A Constant Attendance Allowance
    • An Unemployability Supplement
    • An Unemployability Allowance
    • Income support which includes a disability premium (from 1 April 1994)

    The individual will need to be confirmed as being severely mentally impaired and this will need to be stated in a certificate from a registered medical practitioner.

    To apply for this discount download and complete the SMI form and send it to

  6. Providing or receiving care

    Carers and care workers

    To qualify as a carer you need to be:

    • An adult (over 18).
    • Resident in the same property as the person you are caring for.
    • The person in your care needs to be over 18 (apart from in the case of a foster child).
    • You need to be caring for the person for at least 35 hours a week (i.e. full time).
    • The person you are caring for cannot be your spouse/partner (or living together as such).
    • The person you are caring for usually needs to be in receipt of one of the following:
      • Any rate of Attendance Allowance.
      • Any rate of the daily living activity component of Personal Independence Payment.
      • The middle or highest rate of care component of a Disability Living Allowance.
      • An increase in the rate of their Disablement Pension.
      • An increase in a Constant Attendance Allowance.

    Complete our carer's discount application form

    Moved out to provide care

    If you have moved out of your property on a permanent basis to provide care for a relative, for example, caring for your elderly parent, you may qualify for this discount.

    Moved out to receive care

    If you have moved out of your property on a permanent basis to receive care from a relative, for example, receiving care from your child, you may qualify for this discount.

    Moved to a hospital or residential/nursing home

    If you have moved out of your property on a permanent basis because you have moved into a hospital or residential/nursing home, you may qualify for a discount.

    Find out if you qualify for a discount by downloading and completing the residential/nursing home exemption form and sending it to

  7. People in detention

    Any person who is detained in any of the following circumstances may be entitled to a Council Tax discount:

    • Detained in a prison, hospital or other place by order of a Court
    • Detained pending deportation under the Immigration Act 1971
    • Detained under the relevant parts of the Mental Health Act 1983
    • Detained under the Army Act 1955, The Air Force Act 1955 or the Naval Discipline Act 1957

    Contact us to apply for this discount.

  8. Visiting Forces

    If you are a member of the visiting forces, you may be entitled to a discount.

    You will need to provide a letter from your employer.

    Contact us to apply for this discount.

  9. Other circumstances

    There are other, less common, circumstances that could qualify a person or household to a discount on their Council Tax.

    These include:

    • People that are part of religious communities
    • Residents of hostels or night shelters
    • Members of international headquarters or defence organisations.
    • Diplomats
    • Spouses of students where they are prevented (by immigration laws) from taking paid work or claiming benefits.

    Contact us to apply for any of these discounts.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?