Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Council Tax

Your Council Tax bill

South Somerset District Council Annual Billing - Frequently asked questions:

  1. What is my Council Tax band?

    You can find your Council Tax band on Your Area.

    Simply enter your postcode in the search box.

    More information about banding can be found on our Council Tax bands page

  2. How can I pay? Can I pay by Direct Debit?

    You can set up a direct debit in a few ways. You can call us on 01935 462462, or complete the direct debit instruction attached to your annual bill. Or you can pay online.

    For other payment options, visit the Council Tax section of the website.

  3. A recent payment isn't showing up on my bill

    The annual bills were calculated on the 1st March 2021, and any payment after this date will not show on your bill.

    We can organise a revised bill to be issued in due course.

    If you would like a revised bill visit 'My Account', or contact us.

  4. Can I add my partners name to my bill? Or my partners name isn't showing.

    Yes, we can make this change to your next Council Tax bill. Make this change by contacting us.

  5. My Council Tax bill does not show that I pay by Direct Debit

    Have you previously paid by standing order? If so, you will need to amend this with your bank.

    Alternatively, set up a Direct Debit by calling us on 01935 462462 and have your Council Tax account number ready.

  6. I have been sent an incorrect bill

    The annual bills were calculated on the 1st March 2021. If you have informed us of a change in your circumstances you will be sent a revised bill.

  7. I think I am entitled to a discount

    You can view our available discounts.

    If you feel you may be entitled to a discount, then please visit our exemptions page.

    If you are in receipt of a discount, this will show on your annual bill.

  8. My Council Tax bill is showing over 10 months. Can I pay 12 months instead?

    Yes, if you contact us by 9 April you can set up a Direct Debit to start from 25th of the month, and you can have payments over 12 months.

    If you would prefer another date of the 1st, 7th or 14th, we can only calculate this over 11 months, as we will not be able to get the Direct Debit instruction to the bank in time.

    Or you can make a card payment for the April instalment instead.

    Call us on 01935 462462 so we can set this up for you.

  9. I am on a low income and cannot afford my Council Tax bill

    Complete our Council Tax Support form.

    If you are in receipt of Council Tax Support you can apply for Council Tax Support hardship funding. You can apply for this online or contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.

  10. My Council Tax bill shows I am in credit. Can I have a refund?

    Yes, you can be refunded. However, your annual bill has this credit included to reduce your instalments.

    To receive a revised Council Tax bill showing your increased instalments contact us or visit 'My Account'. 

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?