Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Caravan and mobile homes site licence

To run a caravan site legally you need a licence from us.

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • when caravans can be on the site for human habitation
  • the types of caravans on the site
  • the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles
  • fire safety and fire fighting
  • sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

  1. Eligibility criteria

    The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

    Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

    Touring and camping sites will require amenity blocks. The document draft conditions shows this.

    You may need planning permission and building regulation approval for drainage and other facilities.

    You may also need to liaise with the Environment Agency.

  2. Regulation summary

    Caravan and Camping Sites: Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960

    A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence can be found on the government website.

  3. How to apply

    You can apply online for a caravan site licence.

    You do not need to apply to renew a caravan site licence unless planning conditions change.


    Different types of sites will have different sets of conditions.

    Conditions will cover fire precautions, water supplies, electricity and drainage connections.

    These documents, draft conditions, show you the types of condition being currently attached to these licences:

  4. Application evaluation process

    There is no fee.

    Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land situated.

    Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

    For new mobile home sites you must gain planning permission before you can apply for a site licence, for more information on this, see our Planning pages. Once you have planning permission you may apply for a site licence.

    Will tacit consent apply?

    Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted unless the local authority give notice that the application is refused or conditions are attached by the end of the target completion period, which is 30 days after receipt of a valid application.
    If you are submitting this application by post tacit consent will only apply when the business can show proof of delivery from the Post Office or recognised courier.

    Timescales for processing an application do not start until all the necessary information has been received in full.

  5. Not happy with the outcome?

    Contact Details

    Lead Specialist - Environmental Health
    South Somerset District Council
    Brympton Way, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 2HT

    SSDC telephone: 01935 462462

    The Magistrates Court
    Petters Way
    BA20 1SW

    Magistrates Court telephone: 01935 426281

    If your application fails

    If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on the local district council. 

    If you disagree with an altered condition

    We may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on the local district council.

    Consumer complaint

    We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizen Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


    If you live in a caravan/mobile home and feel that site conditions are poor you should check the conditions on the site licence, which are required to be available on site for inspection. If any of the conditions are not being complied with or you can't get to see them, then contact the Housing Standards team for advice.

  6. Trade associations

  7. Public Register

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?