Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Environmental permits

You need an environmental permit if you operate:

  • an ‘installation’ – an industrial facility, manufacturer or other business that produces potentially harmful substances (e.g. a landfill site, a large chicken farm, a food factory, a furniture factory, a dry cleaners, a petrol station)
  • a waste operation – a site where waste is recycled, stored, treated or disposed of
  • a mining waste operation – a site which manages waste produced from mines or quarries
  • a small waste incineration plant – where certain types and quantities of waste are burned
  • mobile plant – a plant that’s designed to move or be moved, (e.g. a machine that’s moved onto a site to clean contaminated soil)
  • a solvent emission activity – releasing organic solvents directly or indirectly into the air
  • stand-alone groundwater activity – releasing polluting liquids directly or indirectly to water underground

You also need a permit for an activity that involves a radioactive substance.

You may need an environmental permit if you do an activity that could:

  • pollute the air, water or land
  • increase flood risk
  • adversely affect land drainage
  •  is likely to have a significant impact on neighbouring premises from noise or vibration 

You are breaking the law if you operate without a permit when you should have one.

  1. How much is a permit?

    View our list of fees.

    The Government does not intend to amend the fees and charges applicable under the LAPPC and LA-IPPC Schemes for the coming year. Therefore, the existing schemes (2017), which have been in place, will remain in place until they are revoked and replaced.

  2. How do I apply for a permit?

    You can apply for online using the button below. 

    If you are still unsure if you need one, contact us or get in touch with the Environment Agency.

    For a T3 & T7 exemption please complete the registration formGuidance notes available.

    For a  Section 61 of the Control of Pollution Act 1974 contractors need to complete an application form.

  3. What happens next?

    Before we can award a permit, we must consult with the relevant members of the public and other organisations.

    Our aim is to reduce any pollution that the business may cause and to help improve air quality. If we are able to award a permit, you will have to tell us how you intend to minimise pollution levels.

    The Government has published guidance for every type of installation which states the correct pollution standards for each category.

    If we refuse to issue a permit, or your business or installation has been granted a permit but you do not agree with the conditions attached to it, you can appeal to the Government.

    If we issue a permit, you must comply with any conditions and pay the annual charge. This charge covers the costs of checking compliance.

    We calculate each separate business as being high, medium or low risk and our charges are based on these risk factors. We look at the environmental impact if something went wrong, as well as how reliable and effective the operator of the installation is.

Apply for Environmental Permit

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?