Report a bonfire or nuisance smoke

To report an issue you need to be registered for a My Account. This will save you having to re-enter information and allow you to track the progress of the report. 

There is no law against having a bonfire, but use this page to get help with a bonfire or smoke nuisance that is:

  • happening frequently
  • a large bonfire causing a nuisance or danger to others
  • burning garden waste
  • burning man-made materials such as plastic

If you have seen smoke drifting across a public highway, contact the Police on 101.

It is an offence for an industrial or commercial property to produce dark smoke either from a chimney or from a commercial or industrial premises or a bonfire.

If you have seen any dark smoke from commercial or trade premises, contact us immediately on 01935 462462.

For information on domestic wood burning, including wood burning stoves and chimneys, visit our air quality page

  1. What should I do?

    If the smoke is adversely affecting you in your home, you may find the following advice helpful.

    The people having the bonfires or creating the smoke may not know that they are causing a problem.

    Get in contact with them before reporting the issue to us. This way you can resolve the matter quickly and maintain a good relationship.

    If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to the individual or business, use this template letter to help you.

    Keep a copy of your letter and start recording any events that affect you or that you feel are a cause for concern.

  2. What if the bonfires or nuisance smoke continues?

    If the person or business hasn’t responded to your requests, complete our online form using the button below. You will be asked to sign up for, or sign in to, your account before completing the form.

    We will get in contact with the people responsible for the nuisance.

    Your details will not be shared with them unless we decide to prosecute.

  3. How will you investigate my complaint?

    We will decide if the bonfire or smoke is a statutory nuisance (covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990 or, in the case of a business, whether they have demonstrated "best practical means" i.e. if the bonfire has been conducted in the correct or most efficient way).

    If we find a statutory nuisance exists an Abatement Notice will be served. This will require the person responsible to stop or reduce the bonfires or smoke nuisance. This person will also be liable to a fine, if they do not comply with the notice.

    We can only take court action if an Abatement Notice has not been complied with. This will only be considered as a last resort. If we do start court proceedings you must be prepared to give evidence to the Court under oath.

  4. What if my issue is not considered as a nuisance?

    We investigate complaints from an impartial position. You may be told that no statutory nuisance was found or that we couldn’t gather enough evidence. In this case, you can take your complaint directly to the Magistrates Court under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Report a smoke nuisance

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?