Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Report a light nuisance

To report an issue you need to be registered for a My Account. This will save you having to re-enter information and allow you to track the progress of the report. 

Use this page to get help with light that is interfering with your home life, affecting your health or is likely to affect your health.

Light nuisances we may be able to help you with include:

  • Security lights (both household and commercial)
  • Sports facilities (such as floodlit football pitches)
  • Decorative lighting on buildings or landscapes
  • Laser shows and light art

We are unable to help you with light coming from:

  • Street Lighting**
  • Natural light
  • Railways
  • Bus stations
  • Taxi ranks
  • Lorry depots
  • Defense premises such as navy bases
  • Places occupied by visiting armed forces

The above are not covered by nuisance laws.

**To report a problem with a street light in South Somerset, visit Somerset County Council, alternatively you can report it on fixmystreet.

  1. What should I do?

    The owner of the light source may not know that it is causing a problem.

    Get in contact with them before reporting the issue to us. This way you can resolve the matter quickly and maintain a good relationship.

    If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to the individual or business, use this template letter to help you.

    Keep a copy of your letter and start recording any events that effect you or that you feel are a cause for concern.

  2. What if the light nuisance continues?

    If the person or business hasn’t responded to your requests, complete our online report using the button below. You will be asked to sign up for, or sign in to, your account before completing the form.

    We will get in contact with the people responsible for the nuisance.

    Your details will not be shared with them unless we decide to prosecute.

  3. Will you investigate my complaint?

    We will decide if the light is a statutory nuisance (covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990) or, in the case of a business, whether they have demonstrated “best practicable means” (if the light source is being used in the correct or most effective way).

    If we find that a statutory nuisance exists, we will try to resolve the problem informally.

    If this is not possible, an Abatement Notice will be served. This will require the person responsible to stop or reduce the light nuisance. This person will also be liable to a fine.

    We can only take court action if an Abatement Notice has not been complied with. This will only be considered as a last resort. If we do start court proceedings you must be prepared to give evidence to the Court under oath.

  4. What if my issue is not considered a nuisance?

    We investigate complaints from an impartial position. You may be told that no nuisance was found or that we couldn’t gather enough evidence. In this case, you can take your complaint directly to the Magistrates Court under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Report a light nuisance

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?