It is your responsibility as a homeowner or resident to protect your home from flooding.
We recommend taking precautionary measures and purchasing your own sandbags in case of flooding emergencies.
Where can I get sandbags from?
I can’t get sandbags, what do I do?
If sandbags are not available, you can use:
- rolled-up mats or carpets
- bags of garden compost
- pillow cases filled with soil (don't overfill them)
- timber boards (possibly screwed to door frames and sealed with mastic)
Can I request sandbags?
We have a stock of sand and gel-filled 'expandable' bags that we deliver in flooding emergencies.
This service is made available for properties at imminent risk of flooding, based on information from the Met Office or the Environment Agency.
There are restrictions to this free, discretionary service:
- Experience suggests that 6 bags per external doorway, not including doorways to garages or outbuildings, is sufficient. We will evaluate all requests on a needs basis.
- Delivery will only take place if a safe route exists. Following a risk assessment and training, drivers have been instructed not to drive through flooded roads and operatives cannot wade through flooded areas.
- Given the safety constraints, we may not be able to get to all residents that make a sandbag delivery request.
- For safety and ease of delivery, ‘Gel’ bags will mainly be delivered to customers.
The quickest way to request bags is to click on the button below.
Alternatively, phone us on 01935 462462. When the offices are closed you will need to hold and wait to be transferred to our ‘Out Of Hours’ cover for emergencies.