Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Housing advice

I am experiencing domestic abuse

If you are experiencing violence or abuse from your partner, ex-partner or a member of your family then you can get help and advice.

In an emergency always call 999. If it's not safe to talk or make a noise, you can still get help using the Silent Solution System. You can contact the Police on their non-emergency number, 101 to get  advise on how they can help you.

You can get confidential advice from a number of national and local organisations.

  • You Trust – A charity supporting vulnerable people
  • Mankind - Confidential helpline for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence
  • Refuge - 24 hour Helpline supporting women, children & men experiencing domestic violence
  • National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV) – Fast free emergency injunction service regardless of finance, race, gender or sexual orientation for domestic violence survivors
  • Other sources of information available on the website Domestic abuse advice.

  1. Help for under 18's

    If you or someone in your family is being abused at home, tell someone you can trust like a teacher or a friend or even their parents. You won’t get into trouble for telling someone. ​

    You can also call Childline. They will be able to help you deal with the situation and won't tell anyone else you are calling unless you are in immediate danger.​

  2. Being safe

    If you are not safe in your home because of violence, abuse or threatening behaviour, you can get assistance with a safer place to stay, or support so you can stay in your home safely. 

    If you need emergency accommodation, you might be able to get safe housing and support at a refuge by contacting the free 24/7 National Domestic Abuse service.

    For legal advice on obtaining injunctions to protect you contact The National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV).

    The Somerset Integrated Domestic Abuse Service  provides local information and general advice on accommodation, counselling, support groups and safety planning.

  3. I am a housing association tenant

    Speak to your landlord and let them know the situation. They may be able to help you along with other support agencies and possibly the Police.  If you want to remain in your home, they may be able to help by carrying out safety work to your home, for example, fitting secure doors, changing locks, securing windows and fireproof letter boxes. 

  4. Working with the council

    If you are unable to remain in your home and have been unable to get a Refuge placement contact us. You will need to provide us with some information about you and your situation and usually some supporting evidence. This will allow us to understand your circumstances and provide appropriate advice and guidance. You may be offered emergency accommodation whilst waiting for a Refuge placement where you will be safer and can get support planning your next step.  

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?