Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Land Charges

Local Land Charges

*Covid-19 update*

Due to current Covid 19 restrictions, our teams are working remotely and therefore we are only able to provide planning history from 1990 onwards. The Councils computerised records of planning permissions do not extend back before 1990. Any pre 1990 applications are available to view via our website.

We are currently unable to accept searches by post. If a search request has already been sent prior to reading this notice, please get in touch via e-mail or forward and we will confirm the current status and arrange payment by BAC’s.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.

Searches are back to our statutory turnaround time of up to 30 working days. 

A Local Land Charge Search is carried out when a property or a piece of land is being purchased, leased or valued in order to find out if there are any local authority matters affecting the land/property.

If you are thinking about buying a home in South Somerset, then you may well know that, as part of the house buying process, you are encouraged to submit a search on the property to identify any restrictions or legal obligations that may be associated with the property and imposed by a local authority.

Anyone can submit a search application, but most are received from Solicitors acting on behalf of their clients and is covered by the legal fees they charge, although you can, if you wish, request the search yourself.

The search looks at twelve main areas, or 'charges' (restrictions) and checks whether or not any of these apply to the property you are intending to buy, these are:

  • General financial charges
  • Specific financial charges
  • Planning charges
  • Miscellaneous charges
  • Fenland ways maintenance charges
  • Land compensation charges
  • New towns charges
  • Civil aviation charges
  • Opencast coal charges
  • Listed building charges
  • Light obstruction notices
  • Drainage scheme charges

For an enquiry that relates to land ownership, please see the Land Registry website.

For official drainage searches, visit Wessex Searches

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?