Passport to Leisure
Our free passport to leisure card helps those on low incomes enjoy an active and healthy lifestyle by giving them access to leisure activities within our area at a discounted rate.
The card is valid for one year, but you can apply to have it renewed each year.
Each applicant will need a recent passport sized photograph. Dependent children are eligible and all under 16s will require a photo as well.
Who is eligible?
To qualify, you must be a resident of South Somerset and receive one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Employment Support Allowance (Income based)
- Income Support
- Incapacity Benefit
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)
- Housing Benefit
- Attendance Allowance
- Council Tax Benefit and Council Tax Support
- Disability Living Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Carer's Allowance
- Pensions Savings Credit
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Bereavement Allowance
- Working Tax Credit
- Widowed Parent’s Allowance
The following groups are also be eligible to apply, but you will need to provide proof of entitlement as we are unable to verify this ourselves:
- A non-earnings dependant of anyone qualifying for the above benefits as long as they have their own passport to leisure
- A student aged 16 to 18 in full or part time education
- A referral from the Proactive Scheme who is in receipt of the above benefits or on agreement from the Leisure Centre after completing the course
- A referral from Social Services or other professional (for example, Connexions) due to temporary disability/health/social needs or other illness
- Training for work (For example, Apprenticeship Learning, The Work Programme, Pathways to Education Training and Employment Project)
- If you are aged 60 or over and in receipt of Pension Credit (A Passport to Leisure card could entitle you to receive a higher level of discount at some of our facilities)
Where can I use my card?
Discounts are available at the following venues.
You can contact them directly for more information.
Goldenstones Leisure Centre - Tel: 01935 845888
Octagon Theatre - Tel: 01935 422884
SSDC Holiday activity programme - Tel: 01935 462283
Westlands Sport and Fitness Centre - Tel: 01935 314652
Wincanton Sports Centre - Tel: 01963 824400
Buckler's Mead Leisure Centre - Tel: 01935 431716
Yeovil Recreation Centre (Children's Athletics Programme, Golf) - Tel: 01935 462616
How do I apply?
Apply for our free passport to leisure card by completing our application form.
Conditions of use
- All applicants must be a resident of South Somerset
- The passport must only be used by the named card holder
- You are responsible for letting us know about any changes to the information provided on your application
- If you cease to qualify for the scheme following a change in your circumstances, the passport must be returned to us as soon as possible
- Discounts must be claimed on arrival at the facility and before payment
- The level of discount and the activities to which the discounts apply are at the discretion of each provider
Can I get help with transport facilities?
South Somerset Association for Voluntary and Community Action (SSVCA) run a community transport service.
This scheme offers a wide range of vehicles for both group and individual needs. Most of their vehicles are capable of carrying wheelchairs and other mobility aids.
SSVCA is also working with us to operate a demand responsive dial-a-ride service in the Somerton and Langport area i.e. Somerset Links. This service is for those not able to access public transport in these rural areas.
SSVCA also run a community car scheme.
For more information, call 01935 477399 during opening hours 9.00am to 5.00pm.