Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Temporary Event Notices

A TEN is a form to notify the local authority of your intention to use a premises for licensable activities. The premises can be defined by the person who submits the notice, so can include fields and other outside areas) and lasts for a period of no more than 7 days. Licensable activities are the sale by retail of alcohol and supply of alcohol to club members, live and recorded music, plays, films, performance of dance and late night refreshment.  


Activities such as fireworks, fairgrounds and inflatables (unless alcohol is being sold or there is a licensable activity) don’t require a TEN.

  1. How many TENs can I apply for and how many TENS can be used for a premise?

    If you don’t have a personal licence, you can apply for up to 5 TENs per calendar year. Two of these TENs can be late TENs.

    If you have a personal licence, you can apply for 50 TENs in a calendar year.

    These limits apply to the whole of England and Wales, so TENs you apply for in South Somerset will be counted with any TENs you’ve submitted elsewhere in England and Wales.

    How many times can a premises be used for temporary events?

    A premises can be used for up to 15 TENs in a calendar year. 

    However, the total number of days a premises can be used for is 21, as TENs can last for more than a day.

  2. What are associates?

    An associate of the premises can be:

    1. The spouse or civil partner of that person
    2. A child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, brother or sister of that person
    3. An agent or employee of that person
    4. The spouse or civil partner of a person named in (b) or (c)

  3. How do I pay for my TEN?

    The payment will be taken during your online submission

    The fee for a TEN is £21.

  4. What happens after my TEN is submitted?

    We will get in contact with you if we have any questions about your TEN.

    Your TEN will then be sent to the consultees, the Police and our Environmental Health team provided you have submitted an online TEN. They have 3 working days after receipt to submit any objections.

    If we receive any objections during the consultation period, we will contact you as soon as possible. Only the Police and/or Environmental Protection team can object to a TEN.

  5. Can I use a TEN to apply for multiple events which are taking place within the 168 hour time period?

    This is only possible if the events are connected in some way.

    For example, you will need to submit two separate TENS if you are hiring a premises for a 21st birthday party one evening and a wedding reception the following evening or even if they are on the same day but are not connected. This is because the Police and Environmental Health may want to object to one, but not the other.  

    If you are submitting multiple TENs at the same time, each event is still a separate TEN with a separate fee

  6. How far in advance can I submit my TEN and what to do if I'm too late to submit?

    There isn’t any limit to how early you submit a TEN; however it is suggested it shouldn't be more than a year in advance but as soon as possible within this timeframe.

    The latest date you can apply for a TEN is 5 working days before the event; this does not include the day of receipt, Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays and the day of the event. If you are too late to apply for a TEN, you can look at exemptions for regulated entertainment or things you can do which mean you don’t need a TEN. For example, asking guest to bring their own alcohol, however asking for donations and including the cost in a ticket IS a sale of alcohol and any methods where you obtain payment or services for the alcohol are also likely to be a sale of alcohol which requires authorisation. 

  7. Do I need a TEN if people are bringing their own alcohol to the event?

    No, you do not need to apply for a TEN if guests are bringing their own alcohol to the event providing that there is no regulated entertainment or late night refreshment taking place.

  8. Can I cancel or edit my TEN?

    My event has been cancelled, I don't need a TEN anymore, can I cancel it?

    You can withdraw the TEN if your event is cancelled up to 24 hours before it is due to take place. This won’t count towards the number of TENs you’ve submitted that calendar year or the number of TENs submitted for the premises.

    However, you won’t be able to get a refund for the fee.

    I’ve put the wrong date on my TEN, what do I do?

    You can withdraw the notice with the incorrect date and submit a new notice with the correct date providing you still meet the notice periods for a standard or a late TEN.

    However, you won’t be able to get a refund for the incorrect notice.

  9. We’re not sure which venue the event will be, what do we put on the TEN?

    If the venues are within the same premises or next to each other, for example, a village hall which has a recreation ground, then  the whole area can be subject to one TEN.

    However, if you are considering using an indoor area and a field which is situated down the road from this area, it is not possible to include them on the same TEN. This is because you would have to include the whole area in between the two locations on your TEN. We advise talking to the Police and our Environmental Protection team prior to submitting two separate TENs in this situation.

  10. What is a standard TEN and a late TEN?

    There are two types of TEN, a standard TEN and a late TEN.

    A standard TEN is one that is given at least 10 working days before an event. If we receive an objection to a standard TEN, we will arrange a hearing.

    A late TEN is one that is given between 9 and 5 working days before an event. If we receive an objection to a late TEN, the TEN will be refused.

  11. Public register

    A register of TENs is not available electronically. Our Council office can be visited to view hard copies by prior appointment. Contact us if you would like to arrange this.

Apply for a temporary event notice

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?