Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Premises Licence

Apply for a premises licence

A premises licence is required for a venue to provide activities such as:

  • Sale of alcohol (Authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003 is needed for any sale of alcohol)
  • Late night refreshment (Supplying hot foot or hot drink for consumption on or off the premises between 11pm and 5am)
  • Regulated entertainment (Entertainment includes performance of plays, exhibition of films, indoor sporting events, boxing/ wrestling, live music, recorded music and performance of dance)

A premises licence is not needed if:

A premises licence has no expiration date (unless it is required to be time limited from the outset) but an annual fee will need to be paid to prevent the licence from being suspended.

A premises licence will lapse if the licence holder:

  • dies
  • lacks capacity within the meaning of the mental capacity act 2005
  • becomes insolvent
  • is dissolved, for example where the holder is not an individual

For information on what to do when a licence lapses, view our interim authority page.

View our list of fees.

The fee is not based on the number of licensable activities you need, it is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises, whether the premises are used exclusively or primarily for the consumption of alcohol and the number of persons present at any one time.

  1. Can I apply for a premises licence?

    You must be 18 years or older to apply.

    You can be:

    • someone who uses carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
    • a recognised club (which does not hold a club premises certificate)
    • a charity
    • a health service body
    • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
    • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
    • someone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
    • the proprietor of an educational institute
    • a person who is registered under Chapter 2 of Part 1 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 in respect of the carrying on of a regulated activity (within the meaning of the part) in an independent hospital in England
    • any other prescribed person 

  2. Pre-application advice

    We are able to offer a pre-application advice service to help you complete the premises application and advise you about the advertising requirements.

    Apply for pre-application advice.

    Medium, large and extra Large events involve a site visit by one of our Officers.

  3. Applying for a premises licence

    You or your agent, must:

    • Complete the application form
    • Complete an operating schedule
    • Submit a scaled floor plan of the premises and include all of the required information
    • Appoint a Designated Premises Supervisor
    • Submit Right to Work in the UK documents (unless the applicant is a company)
    • Make the payment for the application (you will be advised on how to pay once application submitted).

    If you plan to sell alcohol at the premises, the DPS consent form will need to be submitted at the same time as the premises licence application.

    Applications must take into account the four licensing objectives and promote them.

    These objectives are:

    • The prevention of crime and disorder
    • Public Safety
    • The prevention of public nuisance
    • The protection of children from harm

    See our Premises operating conditions for more information about the objectives and how you can promote them.

    Also see our Statement of Licensing Policy.

    Apply for a premises licence.

    Email your application and plan(s) to On receipt of application we will advise on ways to pay. 

    If you intend to submit a hard copy of the form you will also need to serve it on the responsible authorities. The addresses can be found here.

  4. New applications

    Your application will only be treated as valid when it is correct and all documents have been received along with the appropriate fee.

    You don’t need a licence for some types of entertainment.

    Our Cumulative Impact Policy applies to the following locations:

    • Yeovil – Stars Lane, Middle Street, South Street from its junction with Bond Street to Stars Lane and South Western Terrace.
    • Chard – High Street from its junction with Holyrood Street and Combe Street in a westerly direction to its junction with Crowshute link.
    • Fore Street from its junction with Silver Street in a westerly direction to its junction with Holyrood Street and Combe Street.

    Your premises plans submitted alongside a premises licence application must show the area you wish to licence. This may be the entire premises, including outside areas or, in the case of online sales, just the area where the alcohol is stored.

  5. What to include in the “promoting of the licensing objectives” section of the form

    You need to show that you have considered the impact your licence could have on the licensing objectives.

    Don't give information on provisions you have to make by law, for example, that there would be no sale of alcohol to people who are under 18.

    However, you may want to include prevention methods for the sale of alcohol to people under 18. For example, adopting the “challenge 25” proof of age.

    Anything you include in this section could become a condition of the licence, so do not put anything in this section that is aspirational.

    Information provided should be clear and concise. For example, training will be provided to all staff involved in the sale of alcohol. This will cover offences that can be committed in relation to the supply of alcohol under the Licensing Act 2003, our Challenge 25 policy and the use of an age refusals register. Such training will be recorded in a bound book or electronic format, kept only for this purpose, and will be signed as true record by both the trainee and the trainer. This training will be refreshed at 6 monthly intervals.

  6. Plan

    You will need to submit a plan of the premises with your application form. 

    A document which explains what needs to be shown on the plan can be found here

    The plan forms part of the premises licence, so if any changes are made to the layout of the premises once it has been granted, you will need to submit a variation application to update the premises licence. 

  7. What happens once I've submitted my application?

    We will review your application and will contact you if we need any extra information.

    If no more information is needed from you, then a copy of the application will be sent to the relevant authorities for consultation.

    In the meantime, you must display the application notice at the premises on pale blue paper. The notice needs to be visible from the outside of the premises the following working day from when an application is submitted and accepted. It needs to remain visible for 28 days. If the extent of your premises is larger than 50 metres square, a further notice needs to be displayed every 50 metres along the external perimeter of the premises abutting any highway.

    An advert needs be published in a local newspaper within 10 working days of submitting your application.

  8. Advertising your application

    We recommend that you contact us before displaying the statutory notice(s) or advertising your application in a local paper. This is to make sure that the correct consultation date will be given and, therefore, avoid any errors and any potential breaches that would result in your application being rejected or delayed or having to re-advertise your application both at the premises and in the newspaper.

    Information about the requirements for advertising applications.

    A template for the notice which has to be displayed at the premises. This notice must be on pale blue paper. 

    A template for the notice which has to be published in a local newspaper.

  9. Who can object to my application?

    The responsible authorities (Police, Fire Authority, Planning, Health and Safety, Environmental Health, Trading Standards, Public Health, Licensing, Home Office and Social Services) and members of the public can submit representations.

    Representations can be in support or against an application and must be based on one or more of the four licensing objectives.

    If representations are made to your application we will contact you to let you know.

    It is likely that a hearing will be held and the licence will be determined by the Licensing sub-Committee. The applicant and body or person(s) who made representations will be invited to the hearing and will have the opportunity to speak to the committee.

    Visit the Government website for more information on premises licences and alcohol licensing.

  10. Other information

    If your premises is involved in internet and mail order sales, the place where the alcohol is stored and sent from will require a premises licence. For example, a warehouse where the stock is held and shipped from.

    If this is just a seasonal business, for example selling Christmas hampers, this could be done on Temporary Event Notices for up to 21 day per premises per calendar year.

    A mobile bar will need authorisation for the sale of alcohol for each location it is in. There may already be a premises licence in place to authorise the sale of alcohol, so it is suggested that you check with the organiser.

  11. Will tacit consent apply?

    Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion date. This date is 35 days after the Council, and the Responsible Authorities, have received your valid application.

  12. I need a copy of a premises licence or summary

    If a premises licence or summary has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you can apply for a copy by completing this form.  

  13. Change the name or address of a licence holder

    If the premises licence holder changes their name or address, notify us by completing our change of name form or change of address form

  14. A name of a licensed premises has changed

    If a licensed premises has had a change in name, you will need to let us know by completing our notification form.  

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?