Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Premises Licence

Designated premises supervisors

A premises licence must have an individual nominated as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). This individual will be the person with the day to day responsibility for running the premises and will be the main contact for any licensing issues.

If the nominated individual leaves the employment of the premises, or is just no longer in control of the day to day responsibilities, then the premises licence holder needs to nominate someone else as the DPS.

If there is no assigned DPS, or a DPS does not have a personal licence, then the premises will be prohibited from selling alcohol until someone with a personal licence is nominated.

Applying to be a Designated Premises Supervisor

You can apply to be a DPS as long as you match the following criteria:

  • You are 18 years of age or older
  • You have the right to work in the UK
  • Or are in the process of getting, a personal licence (if the premises sells alcohol)

  1. How do I make an application to vary the DPS?

    If you are the premises licence holder, you can apply to vary the DPS online.

    You will need to:

    Applications to vary a designated premises supervisor must be submitted online or, in exceptional circumstances, by post along with the fee of £23.

    You can email your application to If you submit your application via email the payment can be made over the phone or a payment link will be emailed to you. 

    If you intend to submit the application in hard copy, you will need to send the completed form and fee to:

    South Somerset District Council
    Brympton Way
    BA20 2HT

    and send a copy to:

    Avon and Somerset Constabulary, Liquor Licensing
    PO Box 3119
    BS1 2AA

    Once your application is received, we will review your application and will contact you if we need any extra information.

    If you have emailed the application and no more information is needed from you, your application will be sent to the relevant authorities for consultation.

    If no relevant representations are made, we will grant your application.

    If a representation is made, and not withdrawn, a hearing will be held before members of the licensing committee, unless all parties agree that this is unnecessary.

    We will serve you, and the Chief Officer of Police, a notice of the decision.

  2. Will tacit consent apply?

    Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion date. This date is 20 days after we, and the police, have received your valid application.

    If you sent your application by post, tacit consent will only apply when you can show proof of delivery from the Post Office or courier.  We recommend that you get proof of delivery for the copy sent to the Chief of Police.

  3. Appealing a DPS application decision

    If your application for a variation of a DPS is refused, you can appeal.

    Appeals need to be made to the Magistrates court within 21 days of the notice of the decision.

    The Magistrates Court
    Petters Way
    BA20 1SW

    Telephone: 01935 426281

  4. Change the name or address of a DPS

    If you are a designated premises supervisor and have changed your name or address, let us know using our change of name form or change of address form.

  5. Request to be removed as a DPS

    If you know longer wish to be a designated premises supervisor at a premise, you can request to have your name removed from the premises licence.

    Complete our request form.

  6. Disapply a designated premises supervisor

    If you have a community premises, it may be possible to disapply the mandatory condition (under Section 19(4) of the Licensing Act 2003) for the requirement of a designated premises supervisor (DPS) by transferring the responsibility to the management board or committee of individuals.

    A community premises is defined a premises which is or forms part of:

    • a church, chapel hall or similar building
    • a village hall, parish halls or similar building

    The management committee must understand that should the application be granted, they will be responsible for all alcohol sales under the licence.

    There is an application fee of £23.

    Complete our disapplication of a designated premises supervisor form.

  7. Review of a licence

    An interested party or responsible authority can ask to review a premises licence. If this is requested, we will hold a hearing.

    In certain situations, the chief police officer can request from us a summary review of a licence. For example, if a premises is licensed to sell alcohol by retail and a senior officer has given a certificate that they believe that the premises is associated with either serious crime or disorder.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?