Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Scrap metal dealer's licence

The Scrap Metal Dealer's Act 2013 defines a "scrap metal dealer" as a person who is carrying on a business as a scrap metal dealer, whether or not they are authorised by a licence.

It states that "scrap metal" includes any:

  • old, waste or discarded metal or metallic material
  • product, article or assembly which is made from or contains metal and is broken, worn out or regarded by its last holder as having reached the end of its useful life

The following is not considered to be "scrap metal":

  • gold
  • silver
  • any alloy of which 2 per cent or more by weight is attributable to gold or silver

There are two types of Scrap Metal Dealers Licence:

  • A Site Licence
  • A Collector's Licence

Apply for a Site Licence or Collector's Licence.

The basic disclosure must be obtained from Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Basic disclosures issued by Disclosure Scotland can't be accepted if the applicant or site manager(s) lives in England or Wales.

  1. Site Licences

    We can issue a Site Licence to scrap metal sites that are located in South Somerset.

    It requires all of the sites that the licensee carries on the business as a scrap metal dealer to be identified and a site manager to be named for each site.

    By having a licence, you are permitted to operate from all of those sites as a scrap metal dealer, including transporting scrap metal to and from the sites from any Council area.

    Apply for a Site Licence.

  2. Collector's Licences

    A Collector's Licence authorises the licensee to operate as a collector in South Somerset, permitting them to collect any scrap metal as appropriate. This includes commercial and domestic scrap metal.

    The licence does not permit the collector to collect from any other Council area. A separate licence would need to be obtained from each Council whose area the individual wished to collect in.

    A licence also doesn't authorise the licensee to carry on a business at a site within any area. If a collector wants to use a fixed site, they would need to apply for a Site Licence.

    There is no restriction to where the collector may transport and sell their metals.

    Apply for a Collector's Licence.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?