Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Taxis and Private Hire Drivers/Vehicles

Apply for a temporary hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence

A temporary hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence can be issued when a taxi driver’s vehicle is in an accident and is no longer roadworthy.

A temporary vehicle will be used in its place while the taxi is being repaired, for a maximum of 3 months.

The temporary vehicle must still meet all the same requirements as a standard vehicle licence, except that hackney carriages do not have to be wheelchair accessible.

You must notify us of any accidents within 72 hours of the incident. We must be informed of any accidents before we accept an application for yourself or a 3rd party company to licence a temporary vehicle. If the vehicle is safe to drive, you must make an appointment and bring the vehicle in to be assessed so we can see if the vehicle can still be licensed when we wait for the temporary vehicle licence to be processed.

If the damage is more than cosmetic, we will need to arrange a test at Lufton depot before the plates can be given back to you. There will be a cost for the test. you will need to provide us with a document which shows the work that was carried out on the vehicle, such as an invoice.

Let us know about an accident online.

The relevant application form needs to be completed and emailed to

You can view our policy for licensing of temporary Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles online. 

  1. Do I need a temporary taxi vehicle licence?

    If you have been in an accident and, after an inspection, your vehicle is deemed no longer roadworthy, then you will need a temporary licence while your vehicle is being repaired.

  2. How much is a temporary hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence?

    The fee for a temporary licence is £221.00 (this includes the cost of the vehicle inspection). 

    This is the same for both a hackney carriage and a private hire licence.

  3. How do I apply for a temporary hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence?

    The application process for a temporary vehicle licence is very similar to the standard taxi vehicle licence. However, you must:

    • Notify us of an accident and book an inspection of the vehicle within 72 hours of the accident
    • Repair any damage to the vehicle if the car is deemed unfit for the road before a re-inspection can take place
    • Return your taxi plates back to us before a temporary licence can be granted and if any work is being carried out to a taxi before inspection.

    Apply for a temporary licence.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?