Renew a Hackney or Private Hire Vehicle licence
How do I renew my licence?
To apply for a licence, you will need to:
- complete our application form
- Email the completed form and below supporting Documentation to email@example.com
- Vehicle registration document
- Valid Motor Insurance
- Valid Public liability insurance
- Valid MOT
Please submit your completed application to this department in good time- a minimum of 10 working days before in order that we can arrange for a vehicle test to be carried out prior to the issue of the Licence. If we are unable to book a vehicle test before the licence expiry date, the plate will have to be returned to this office until the vehicle test is passed.
If you have a Hackney Carriage and the expiry date is on a Saturday or Sunday, you must be in possession of your new licence by the Friday before if you intend using your vehicle for Hackney Carriage purposes after the licence expiry date.
What happens if I no longer want my vehicle to be licensed?
If you don’t want to renew your licence, you must tell us straight away and return the vehicle plate as soon as the licence has expired. You won't be allowed to use the vehicle for hire and reward.
Request an exemption from the requirement to display plates on private hire vehicles used for contract/executive work
he Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 requires that Private Hire vehicles display an identification plate and drivers of those vehicles wear a driver’s badge. The same legislation also allows South Somerset District Council to exempt vehicles from the need to display an identification plate and, where that exemption applies, the requirement to wear a Private Hire Driver badge.
Exemptions from displaying identification plates may be granted in respect of individual vehicles only and based upon evidence based need. Applications for exemptions relating to a fleet of vehicles will not be allowed.
Each application will be assessed on its own merit.
Relevant considerations as to whether a vehicle meets this standard include but are not limited to cost, reputation, specification, appearance, perception, superior comfort levels and seating specification i.e. whether the vehicle offers additional space per passenger opposed to standard vehicles.
The vehicle will be in pristine condition with no visible defects, dents or blemishes to the external bodywork or internal trim and seating. Interior seating will usually be leather and the interior air conditioned to maintain passenger comfort.
The type of work undertaken is ‘executive’ in nature. There must be a demonstrable need for an exemption to apply rather than a one-off contract. The type of work that may be considered ‘executive’ may include:
- Corporate bookings to transport employees and clients on business related journeys
- Other journeys where the client specifically requires a vehicle without any Private Hire plates or signage on it at the time of booking
- Bookings for clients (for example politicians and celebrities) who for security or personal safety reasons would not want the vehicle to be identifiable as a Private Hire vehicle.
- The percentage of ‘executive’ work undertaken by the vehicle must constitute at least 75% of the total work carried out by the vehicle.
- An application for an exemption from the display of identity plates must be accompanied by a copy (preferable electronic) of the relevant Private Hire Operator records to evidence the nature of the work carried out over the previous licence period.
- Operator records must also detail evidence of contracts with clients which require vehicles supplied to be exempt from the display of identity plates.
- A dress code commensurate with executive work is required. Applicants to provide details of the dress code (suit/jacket or equivalent) which the operator(s) for whom they work require them to adhere to. Dress code must be followed at all times the vehicle is being used to undertake a booking relating to executive work.
You will need to complete an application form and provide relevant supporting information. The application form can be found here