Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Change the access to my property

Dropped kerb / altered access planning permission

Planning permission is required if:

  • The access you would like to create or alter is on to an A, B or C classified road.
  • The property is a flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises and so does not benefit from permitted development rights for a new access.
  • The property is subject to a planning condition restricting or removing its permitted development rights of the construction of a new access.
  • The property is a listed building and you want to build or alter a gate, wall, fence or railing within the curtilage of the building or the surrounding property. If this is the case, an application for listed building consent will also be required.
  • It would create an obstruction to the view of people driving on the road.
  • The formation of the dropped kerb is not required in connection with other permitted development, such as paving your driveway.


  • Any ground level changes or erection of retaining walls within the site may need a separate engineering operation that requires its own planning permission.
  • If works to a tree with a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or a tree within a Conservation Area is required, an application for tree works will also be needed.

If you don't think permission is required for a new access, but wish to have a formal determination, you can make an application for a Lawful Development Certificate.

  1. Is planning permission required for hardstanding at the front of my property?

    Planning permission is required for hard surfacing if:

    • The area is greater than 5 square metres and not constructed of porous materials, for example, permeable block paving or porous asphalt.
    • Rainwater discharges onto the road or existing drains. This may lead to uncontrolled run-off of rainwater from front gardens onto roads which can contribute to flooding and pollution of watercourses.

  2. How do I apply for planning permission?

    You can apply online via the Planning Portal.

    Along with the completed application form, you will need to submit:

    • A Site Location Plan (usually at a 1:1250 scale). The application site should be edged clearly with a red line. It should include all land necessary to carry out the proposed development. For example, land required for access to the site from a public highway, visibility splays, landscaping, car parking and open areas around buildings. A blue line should be drawn around any other land owned by the applicant, close to or adjoining the application site.
    • A block plan (usually at a scale of 1:500) should show the location of the dropped kerb, area of hard surfacing, turning area, minimum size of parking spaces, visibility splays and any street furniture, such as telegraph poles or lamp posts. More information on turning areas, minimum size of parking spaces and visibility splays can be found via Somerset Parking Strategy 2013 – Standing Advice 2017.
    • Details of any proposed boundary treatments. We recommend that these designs that consider landscaping and retention of existing frontage walls and piers.
    • Any entrance gates should be positioned to open inwards and shall be set back a minimum distance of 5.0 metres from the carriageway edge.
    • If the access crosses Highway Authority land, Ownership Certificate B of the application form should be signed.
    • The relevant fee for the application.

    All vehicle crossovers, or dropped kerbs, require a Section 184 licence from the local Highway Authority, regardless of the need for planning permission. If planning permission is required, you must obtain this before applying for a Section 184 licence.

    More information can be found on the Somerset County Council website.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?