Report a planning breach and planning enforcement

Planning breaches include:

  • Carrying out building without planning permission
  • Carrying out building works which are not in accordance with a planning permission
  • Failing to comply with planning conditions attached to planning permission
  • Works on a Listed Building or to a tree with a Tree Preservation Order
  • Unauthorised works to a Listed Building
  • Unauthorised works to a tree subject to a Tree Preservation Order
  • Unauthorised works to a protected tree within a Conservation Area.
  • Display of unauthorised advertisements
  • The appearance or condition of land or buildings adversely affecting the amenity of an area
  • Failure to comply with the requirements of a formal notice issued by the Local Planning Authority

Planning breaches do not include:

  • Neighbour disputes
  • Land boundaries or ownership disputes
  • Works to party walls – Contact Citizens’ Advice for any issues or queries
  • Dangerous structures

View our Planning Enforcement Policy for more information about our role in enforcing breaches of planning control.

If you are satisfied that the works in question do require planning permission please complete the following Report a Breach form and email to

PLEASE NOTE: all fields with red * are MANDATORY. If these are not completed as a genuine entry your enquiry will not be pursued or acknowledged. All anonymous or hoax entries will be discarded. 

If you are concerned about your own anonymity, please be advised that enforcement complaints are kept confidential, communication will be treated so far as possible on a confidential basis. In the unlikely event that this breach proceeds to the prosecution stage your communication may become available for public inspection. If you are concerned in this regard please contact your Parish or Town Council to report the breach on your behalf.

  1. How do I report a planning breach?

    If suspected unauthorised building work is causing immediate, serious or irreversible harm to neighbourhood facilities, a listed building, protected tree or conservation area, call us on 01935 462462.

    Check to see if any permission exists for the development you wish to report. You can do this online in the Your Area section of the website.

    If no permission exists, check to see if the work taking place does actually require planning permission. You can do this on the Planning Portal.

    If no planning permission has been granted, or the works taking place differ to those that were allowed by the permission, or you believe permission is required, complete our Report a Breach of Planning Control form and email it to with any supporting information.

    Please fully complete the form. Anonymous reports, or those not using the above form, will not normally be pursued. 

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?