Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

I want to film in South Somerset

South Somerset District Council receives many enquiries from broadcast media asking to film in south Somerset. As a council, we allow companies, organisations or individuals to film or broadcast free of charge on any of our land.

Film or broadcast in South Somerset

However, we ask those that wish to film/record on our land or public land to seek permission from the council first by emailing us. You must supply a copy of your filming risk assessment and public liability insurance certificate when emailing.

Please give as much notice as possible for your filming request, ideally more than 7 working days.

The council must stress that it cannot offer permission for filming/broadcasting on land that is not owned by the district council (such as county council owned land or that of private landowners).

We can supply you with a copy of a signed letter granting filming permission if you require proof of filming from us. Simply request this in your email.


If you wish to film on the public road in south Somerset, you must request permission from Somerset County Council. They can also advise you if there are roadworks planned in the vicinity where the filming is likely to take place. Their communications team can be contacted by calling 01823 355020 or emailing

Locations in south Somerset

South Somerset is very lucky to have many beautiful locations to film such as Ham Hill Country Park and Yeovil Country Park. There are many market towns across the district and some great historical places to visit. For filming location ideas, visit this Discover South Somerset's website.


We are receiving an increasing number of enquiries about filming with drones.

In order to film using a small unmanned aircraft in our parks, recreation ground and public open spaces; you will need permission.

It may be useful to read advice on the Civil Aviation Authority website.

We will be required to see evidence that your drone pilot is licensed with the Civil Aviation Authority and you will also need to provide us with a copy of your health and safety risk assessment.

South Somerset District Council cannot be held responsible for any incidents or accidents that may occur when flying a drone on our land. Be safe and be legal. Follow advice on the Civil Aviation Authority website.

For more information, email us.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?