Become a volunteer with the Council
There are many volunteering opportunities at South Somerset so, whatever your background, interests or skills, there are lots of different activities you can do.
Volunteers choose to give up their time to share their knowledge, skills and experience, free of charge, with the council to help benefit the community and the environment.
At South Somerset, we very much value the work done by our volunteers. We understand that they play a vital role in what we do and, without their hard work, many of our community based activities and services would struggle to function.
Can I volunteer?
Anyone can volunteer, as long as they have some time to offer and the drive to make a difference in the community.
What will I gain from volunteering?
Volunteering gives you the opportunity to:
- Learn new skills and develop existing ones
- Make a difference to individuals and your community
- Increase your confidence
- Meet new people
- Share your knowledge with others
- Gain work experience to boost your CV and get an up to date reference.
- Have fun!
Where can I volunteer and what does it involve?
The type of volunteering work you do will be based on your skills and interests.
For more information about the different volunteer roles and locations, visit the pages below:
- Countryside (Ham Hill, Ninesprings and Chard Reservoir) volunteers
- Heritage (museum) volunteers
- Foyer Club (Octagon Theatre) volunteers
- The Hub (art shop, scrap store and cafe) volunteers
- Health Walk Leader volunteers
In addition to volunteering with the council, there are a wide range of other volunteering opportunities available throughout South Somerset. If you would like to view other opportunities please visit our get involved page.