Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Self-build and Custom-build Houses

The government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own homes and make this a more mainstream housing option. Therefore, we want to find out how much interest there is in this approach to housing development across the area.

In accordance with the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015, we keep a register of interested parties seeking to acquire land to build a home. The register includes entries from individuals, or an association of individuals.

To be eligible for entry on the register, an individual or each member of an association must be:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • A British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the UK, or a national of Switzerland
  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority's area to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence

The self-build and custom housebuilding register provides information on demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in the local area and forms a key part of the evidence base of demand for this type of housing.

Complete our self build application form.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?